On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Jochem van Dieten <joch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you really have that many templates that you need a 256 MB Max Perm
> size or are you just guessing?

you got me :)  We only have a few hundred templates, but we've got
7,000 unique web sites all running in a single application scope, and
we cache a fair amount of data in memory to avoid hitting the db on
every request...

These changes have definately made an improvement, along with some
other actual code changes I made last night... the server isn't
terribly busy right now (averaging 3-6 requests per second per
instance) and it's doing garbage collection every 10 minutes, but more
importantly, the major GC is only having to clean up about 125MB of
ram...  and none of the three instances are peaking at more than 600MB
of ram.

> For a much deeper overview of what is happening add the following options:
>  -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDetails -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintHeapAtGC
>
> The amount of info this will dump to STDOUT is significant, so if you
> run this in a production environment you probably want some script to
> parse this into graphs.

I'll give this a try sometime.

Rick