From: Rick Root [mailto:rick.r...@webworksllc.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 6:15 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: JVM Tuning and Garbage Collection

I've taken advice from several of you and restarted my services... so far so
good.

I lowed the memory on each instance to 768m - min and max - and added the
garbage collection interval.  I also increased the maxpermsize

java.args=-server -Xmx768m -Xms768m -Dmail.host=www.classcreator.com
-Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=600000
-Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=600000 -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -Dcoldfusion.rootDir={application.home}/

Oops.. I just noticed that I accidentally left the GC method to
UseConcMarkSweepGC .. I didn't intend for that as I switched it to that last
friday night, and monday when activity picked up I was in hell... switched
back to UseParallelGC Tuesday morning, and things smoothed out considerably.

So far, things are running pretty smoothly.  Garbage collection does not
seem to be causing any problems.  I am still seeing these weird, rhythmic
activity spikes where every 13-14 minutes, my request activity graph
skyrockets to 20 active requests, while it usually hovers around 2-3 active
requests (while processing anywhere from 5-10 requests per second)

NEXT STEP:  I'm going to upgrade from the JVM that shipped with CF 8 to the
latest 1.6.0_12

At the same time as these request spikes, I see JDBC time spikes.  A
significant spike of requests could slow down the database server, so this
makes sense to me.  Alternatively, a temporary slowdown on the database
server could also lead to a slowdown of request processing which would lead
to the "piling up" of requests.

HOWEVER, I haven't seen anything particularly unusual on the database server
that would cause these rhythmic spikes in activity.  No scheduled tasks
running every 13 minutes, etc.

I am having Cacti installed so we can better monitor CPU and disk activity
on our servers so hopefully that will help me problem solve!

Anyway, thanks all, I appreciate your input.