>I don't see why anyone would have a problem using listserves...

And that's part of the reason why there's such a significant divide.

Technical people are fine with mailing lists; they understand them and can
generally setup their email client in a suitable way, and they don't get what's
wrong with it.

Non-technical people are fine with forums, and don't see why people use mailing
lists.

What you refer to as 'hybrid' are generally mailing lists with web interfaces
tacked on, and those web interfaces simply don't compare to what a full forum
system gives you.

The downside is that forums are all made by people that don't see the benefits
that mailing lists have, so you don't get proper email-based interfaces (best
case is notification emails with replies inline without having to click a link).

There is no reason that they cannot both be properly united, (other than a lack
of understanding on what attracts people to one or the other).

This is something that has bugged me for *years* - one of my first projects
after learning CF was to try building a great multi-interfacing discussion
package, but I didn't know enough back then and it went nowhere.

At the moment, I'm cautiously optimistic that Wave might help with solving the
problem, but since Google have stopped doing password resets, I've been unable
to login and start experimenting with that. :(

But anyway, until we have that unified discussion system, the original question
comes down to what the majority of the users are.

My suspicion of Randy's Client's intended audience is that - if he picked a
mailing list - they'd 99.9% be using the web interface, so he's better off with
a proper forum package.

If that turns out to be not the case, then a mailing list might indeed be a
better choice.