From: Mike Kear [mailto:afpwebwo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:34 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Why i fear ColdFusion is on its last legs in Australia

What would be a whole lot better is if someone said 'no you are wrong, Mike,
look at all the things we're doing to promote Coldfusion to .net/php/java
users:
a:
b:
c:
etc'

 or
"No Mike, you're wrong the server customer base has increased over the last
year by xx%"
or
"No Mike, we presented at a .Net conference in Sydney last July,  and at a
.php conference in Melbourne in August ...  etc "

but there's none of that at all.  Not a sound.

Not even 'hey look at the great new user that bought CF Enterprise!
...'  or "look at this great new CF application that XXX Pty Ltd put in .."

Nothing from Adobe.  I might be wrong - I hope I am,  but Adobe didnt know
much about what to do with a server product when they bought Macromedia,
and I got the impression that many Adobe people see it as a bit of an
orphan,  a bit of a non-core product,  and not a good career move in Adobe
to be associated with it unless you're Ben Forta.
  I got the feeling that Adobe people think it's something they got stuck
with when they bought Macromedia for what they REALLY wanted - Flash and
Dreamweaver.

Certainly in Australia i have yet to hear of anyone at Adobe who is annoyed
because I am painting them in a bad light that's undeserved.

Let me say here and now that I will VERY rapidly change my tune on
this if anyone can show me that I'm wrong about this.    But let me
summarise the 3 main factors:

[A] hardly any jobs for over a year now
[B] hardly any promotion activity on ColdFusion apart from preaching to the
converted at CF Conferences [C]  Very little or no interest in Coldfusion
from the usergroups.

Does that add up to a vibrant, growing, thriving community?

Either prove me wrong someone,  or stop bashing me for being critical and
for gods sake lets poke someone in the ribs who's in a position to DO
SOMETHING about it!

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Adobe Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from
AUD$15/month