From: Raymond Camden [mailto:rcam...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 2:25 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Solr Errors

To be clear - is this only for your unit tests? Could you possibly use
sleep() to slow things down a bit? That's a hack - but would allow you
to keep testing.

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Mary Jo Sminkey <mary...@cfwebstore.com>
wrote:

> Well, by doing some research on the Solr boards and lists, I was able to
figure out the problem. It appears to be due to CF committing after every
cfindex tag and this causes Solr to open a new searcher and "auto warm" it
(load from cache). If you are committing more frequently than the warming
process, these searches pile up and you hit the error. So if you have a page
that runs a lot of cfindex tags (as my unit tests were) you can easily hit
this error. Problem is, I'm not sure how we can work around this easily. I
tried setting the autoWarmCounts to 0 to see if I could reduce the startup
time (and since my app does a lot more indexing at runtime than searches so
slow startup is not a big issue) but I still hit the error when the number
of searches exceeded the maximum set. I could try setting the limit for
warming searches higher (setting it to 10 for instance fixes the problem
with my tests) but that supposedly is a bit of a performance killer. In
cases where my users are adding a batch of these data elements that I'm
indexing, I'm almost certainly to bang into that limit again. In my case, it
may mean we simply cannot use Solr for this, unless there's someway to batch
the commits and just do one single one at the end of the request. What we
need is something like a cftransaction tag for the cfindex tag.