Yes, in Git you can "stage" individual lines, commit only those and
you'll have the rest of your changes uncommitted in your workspace.

Like Judah said, you should be working on your new feature or release or
whatever in its own branch and committing often - even if it's not
complete or working, since you're committing locally anyway, it's not
affecting anyone else. (Here's a nice branching model we've adopted:
http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/)

So, to make a quick change, commit your work in progress, checkout the
hotfix branch, make the change, commit it, push that branch to
release/production, then re-check out the feature branch you were
working on.

Git makes this all really easy and you want to do it this way since a
big part of using version control is to have clear tracking of what
changes mean what.

.jonah