Michael,

I think the thing is the attitude the company takes, it has been my
experience that large corporations with System Administrators and a
department that looks after the systems for users, usually exempt the
Software Developers from there normal stringent rules.

Now on that same token it also boils down to how your team is managed as
well, with that I mean people usually hire junior staff because they have
enough senior developers to train and look after the rest of the team. Now
this is where I will disagree with Ray and the others, only because I
wouldn't expect the Junior staff to know everything, but basic setup and
installation should be on their resumes. If not then they should be hired
in the knowledge that they can be trained.

One thing that I thought about later was that there is no reason why the IT
as you say, and that concerns me because developers should also be part of
that team, not classed as Administrators, but they are Information
Technology developers so they should be labeled in that IT department. But
there should be no reason that the Administrators can't setup a ColdFusion
server and get it working, to the requirements needed, and as all developer
license are technically Enterprise versions. Then there is no reason why
the settings can be archived and deployed across to all other installations.

But when it comes to IIS and Apache the Senior Developers should know how
to use these tools, it is part of their job in the long run, there might be
a time when you need to create a Virtual Directory, or they need to make
changes to the rewrite rules for SES urls. There are many other things that
are basic stuff that any Senior Developer should have, there are no ifs or
buts on that. But like I said Junior Developers are different, but they are
there to feed of the knowledge of the Senior Developers.

Again I could go on and on, but the attitude on your argument is so far
wrong it is not funny, but I do understand that Red Tape can play a huge
part in all this as well, which is something you or your manager will need
to address.

The fact that you have been spending your time for so long working in a
very un-productive manner is something that your manage should have known,
or even began to address, if that is not his role then it is yours to then
research, which you have done by addressing it here.

And the unfortunate thing here, is that ColdFusion tends to also bring in a
lot of designers who are forced to take on developer roles as well, this is
something that Adobe should address at some point, but until or even if
that ever happens, your company also needs to look at making some serious
changes as well.

I think everyone here does understand the Red Tape, but your arguments are
not even strong enough to back up your position in any way.

--
Regards,
Andrew Scott