On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Michael Christensen <mich...@strib.dk>wrote:

> (I don't know if this is a particular Danish or European way to do things
> - seems that things might be a bit different in the US)

...or just the specific companies you've worked for in the past, regardless
of location.

I would take this away from the conversation: Perhaps the least important
thing in this thread is your current employer's policies and procedures and
wether or not they are correct. the most important thing you can take away
from this thread (which I think you may already be taking from it), is what
YOUR skills need to be in order to remain employable into the future.

Don't allow yourself to be one of those people who sit at the center of a
corporate environment for a decade, allowing your skillset to atrophy and
thinking that everything you see around you is "normal". Keep your eyes
open and learn what's going on outside those prison walls. Unless you plan
to retire in a few years, you are going to need to be employable by someone
else at some point in the future. Don't let things get to the point that
no-one will hire you because you let your skillset get hopelessly out of
date.

-Cameron