Michael,

Hope you read this before bowing out...

I think, you need to understand one thing, nobody is saying that a
developer needs to be able to maintain a server, that is the Administrators
job. And there is a huge distinction between being able to install software
for development, and Administration, and being able to make changes quickly.

Being able to make changes quickly for doing Research and Development or
trying new things, is not the role of Administrators either and that is
what I have tried to point out. The fact that you brought that up indicates
you still disagree with the role that a developer should be able to do,
being able to create tables and write SQL is part of that requirement. But
on the same token some DBA's do get very anal about their databases, and
sometimes with very good reason. So I think everyone here understands that.

Especially in very large organisations.

There is also nothing wrong with being able to have your own database, that
developers can play with, and most decent DBA's would allow you to control
and use your own DB in development, but they will eventually make
suggestions to improve or tell you whether something needs to be changed to
suit their requirements. That comes to down to the deployment process, and
the DBA's will scrutinize your work, to make sure it is within the
guidelines.

BUT, nobody expects a developer to be able to do System Administration, in
the same way you would not expect the System Administrators to be able to
do development work. There is a huge difference in both those roles.

--
Regards,
Andrew Scott