I can tinker with that approach, and it might prove beneficial.

But I am really after an automated setup that creates a storage
system for original-topic emails, along with the replies I send.

Much like text messaging provides currently. I can follow a text
message conversation easily, because my replies are automatically
displayed in-line with the other persons responses.

Email should work the same way. I shouldn't have to "filter" or
"search" or anything else to be able to view an entire conversation.

We seem to be stuck in the paradigm of thinking email users should
store replies in various folders. And in order to get my response
into the conversation, I have to go to a "Sent Items" folder and
each time manually copy my replies into a particular folder.

Even a basic setup that includes all parts of a conversation,
like this email list, is preferable to anything I've found in
current offerings.

And it should be relatively easy to build. Just have CF manage
that emails behind the scenes as the conversation flows. Then,
should I want to review or send a *complete* conversation to
someone else, I can simply refer to what CF has created for me.

It's ridiculously complex to try to reassemble an email conversation.
It's time for a new approach.

That's what I'm trying to accomplish and what led to my original question.

Rick