From: Shawn Grover [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 4:11 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Fusebox (was: I like CFMX)

Having just spent 2 hours catching up on this thread, I'm getting tired,
and need sleep.

My take on this thread:

Those developers who have experience in structured programming and/or
OOP, can relate some of the abstract concepts and methods from these
disciplines to web development.

Those developers who only have web development experience, will not
understand these concepts and methods at first glance.  Or second and
thrid glances.

I agree with Dave and Matt that the terms used to describe these
concepts and methods need to be clear - and they are to those with the
greater experience.  That doesn't mean they are clear to those who do
not have the experience - but the onus is on them to learn more about
the terms, concepts, methods.  Afterall, how can you put an abstract
idea into 100 words or less, when it takes a definition AND seeing that
definition in action (sometimes lots of times) to truly understand?

That said, Dave nailed it on the head - if you feel a tool makes you
more productive, then use it.  Fusebox is probably a good intro to using
a structure for a web app.  But Fusebox devotees must keep in mind that
there is SO much more out there when it comes to developing.  And the
more experience developers (meaning more experienced with other types of
coding, rather than just web apps), must keep in mind that there is no
single method to solve a problem.

I myself fall into that trap too often - "how do I do this? simple, do
this, this and this" without thinking about the number of other methods
to solve the issue.  However, this is mostly based on my experience, and
knowing the problems/concerns with the other methods.  But, I'm open
minded, show me a better way, and WHY it's a better way and I'll do it
that way. <cf_disclaimer> I don't feel my own experience is all that
great, but do know that I have more in some areas than most of my
coworkers - web development is one of those areas </cf_disclaimer>

All that said, I've looked into Fusebox.  The most I can see, and I'm
sure I'm missing lots, is that FB is basically one file that acts as a
switchboard for the app - directing actions to the proper files.  I can
handle this directing in other manners (such as submitting a form
directly to my action page, rather than the index.cfm with the right
action specified), and manage the file/directory structure, includes,
and redirections of my apps without FB per se.  (Actually, FB came close
to matching how I built my directory structure in the first place - but
that's experience and common sense kicking in.)  To an experienced
developer, the code would be straight forward (and well commented), to
someone who cut their teeth on FB, they may have difficulty following
the flow of logic.

If you are lucky enough to work with a team of experienced developers,
then FB probably won't be used.  If not, then FB might be beneficial.
Each developer or team must decide for themselves which tool works best
for them personally, AND for the problem/application at hand.

My thoughts, not yours.  And now my bed is beckoning me.....

Shawn Grover