From: Jennifer Larkin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 2:49 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Fusebox (was: I like CFMX)

To be honest, it's been quite some time since I've looked at the docs,
so I
can't say with conviction what the stance is on URL variables. However,
it
seems that the method requests that you refer to need to be passed in
some
way and that way usually seems to be through a URL variable. It *is*
these
variables that I dislike. In order for a user to link to a page in the
site, the method must be in the URL (as opposed to a session, form,
client
or other variable). Otherwise, the default method would be selected and
the
user would not be linking to the part of the site that is expected. The
user's bookmarks would be invalid and any links the user sends in email
his/her/its friends would also be invalid. Avoiding that requires that
the
method be in the URL. So you say that FuseBox is agnostic about the use
of
URL variables, but I don't understand how that could be true. It seems
require them, regardless of the format in which the variables appear.

Obviously, you know more about FuseBox than I do, so please correct me
if I
am wrong about that.

I dislike URL variables in general, although I think they do have a
place.
I certainly wouldn't want to build a catalog of 4000 products without
them.
I just think that telling a site what to do isn't the place for URL
variables. I wouldn't even say that I stick to that as a rule, since I
have
built data-entry systems that use URL variables to determine whether a
person is editing something or making something new. However, the
requested
functionality of the applications required that.

As I've said before, I don't think that a single solution can solve
every
problem. The solution is dictated by the problem itself.