It's definitely worth while setting yourself up on these things.  Some
of them come and go but if you put in a decent profile and hook up
with everyone you can, it keeps you visible to the rest of the
community (which is where a lot of work will come from) and helps you
stay connected.

I actually have found I get a bit of work through linked in - I've had
a few excellent clients come to me totally at random via my linked in
profile.

Toby
On 08/07/2008, at 3:17 PM, Mike Kear wrote:

> My son was berating me over the weekend for being behind the times.
> (no surprise there - that's what sons have always told their fathers
> since time began) .  He told me i ought to be using networking web
> sites like Linkedin to grow my business.
>
> Well i'm on Linkedin but to tell the truth i havent put much effort
> into it.    Are those sorts of sites any use for getting business in
> this field?   I am well aware of hte power of networking sites for
> putting you in contact with others, but what i'm wondering is how
> useful are they for actually generating cash-type paid work?
>
> Has anyone got an opinion about that, or are you all doing the same as
> i am - put my name there with the attitude "well it can't hurt and you
> never know if something might come out of it"
>
> --
> Cheers
> Mike Kear
> Windsor, NSW, Australia
> Adobe Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer
> AFP Webworks
> http://afpwebworks.com
> ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month

Life is poetry, write it in your own words

Toby Tremayne
CEO
Code Poet and Zen Master of the Heavy Sleep
Lyricist Software
0416 048 090
ICQ: 13107913