Kai's reply makes me want to cue the music to Dylan's song (covered by
many), "The answer my friend, is blowin' in the logs [wind]. The answer is
blowin' in the logs." Or maybe that's too old for many to get it. :-)

Yes, it could be that it's a systemic problem (outofmemory errors, jvm
issues, etc.) which might be reported in the logs. Also, check the
[cf]/logs/cfserver.log, as on *nix that has some of what is otherwise in the
"jrun" or "runtime" logs (though they may have info as well). Between that
and any console log you may have, it may well give insight into the problem.

If this had been a CF8 server, some would point out to make sure you were on
JVM 1.6.0_11 or above (because of the JVM class loading bug that existed
prior to that), but since you say you're on CF9 we would assume you're on at
least _18 (which I think is what 9 installs). But then since you may have
implemented this CF9 deployment in a non-standard way (running as an
instance on a previously installed CF 8 multiserver deployment, or perhaps
as a J2EE deployment), let's at least have you confirm (in the CF Admin
"settings summary" or "system information" pages) that you are running a JVM
update greater than 1.6.0_11.

Hope that's helpful.

/charlie