My 2c

I ended up in a CF role after taking on a job to develop and maintain a website for a sport that I love. I came from a Java background and in some regards although I now have a "dream job" of sorts I feel like I've shot myself in the foot in terms of future employment prospects.

In fact I actually keep hearing the "re-platforming" term thrown around and have had colleagues / managers question me on what CF can do that Java can't (without the licence cost). It's sometimes difficult for me to answer, especially when I haven't been around pure Java for a while.

I don't disagree that as CF developers we should be doing more to sell it to our managers, however we need to believe in it and be in a position to refute the arguments. Maybe what we need to do is get that google wave document going as one list member suggested, and also another one with a "Why CF?" that we can refer to when these kinds of scenario's come up?

Personally I was hoping that Open BlueDragon and Railo would breathe some new life into CF as people jump on the open source bandwagon. It hasn't seemed to make much difference from my point of view though.

Speaking of hosting, I have hobby projects I'm writing in PHP because I don't have the dollars to host these in CF.

With LAMP hosting for about US$2 a month it's a no brainer for these things. But I feel we lose out on developer interest (which I do think flows on to the business world) for this exact reason.

Okay that's a bit of a ramble of disjointed thoughts, but this seems a good thread to speak of the "state of the fusion"