> 1.  I cflock a block of code that stores ws.cfc in
> application scope (singleton). The lock is exclusive.
>
> 2.  For each page request, I read-only cflock a small block
> of code to cfset ws = application.ws -- locking this small
> block of code is good for performance instead of having to
> lock everywhere I need to use this component.  (is ws a
> complete copy of application.ws, or is it just a reference to it?)
>
> 3.  I can then reference "ws" for the remainder of my page
> call without locking, instead of using application.ws and
> having to cflock everywhere.
>
> Is this correct, or have I totally forgotten my locking rules
> for CF 6.1?

Objects are passed by reference, not by value. So, you're not creating a
copy of application.ws, just a pointer to it.

That said, if you're not calling any setter methods within application.ws,
you can just dispense with the locking entirely.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.net

You are subscribed to cfcdev. To unsubscribe, please follow the instructions at
http://www.cfczone.org/listserv.cfm

CFCDev is supported by:
Katapult Media, Inc.
We are cool code geeks looking for fun projects to rock!
www.katapultmedia.com