Replies to this message are sent to The Chevelle Mailing List
------------------------------------------------------------

I love the internal regulator alternator swap.  One thing I noticed, was on
the external regulator alternator, the lights would go bright and dim as the
mechanical regulator would kick in and out.  After installing the internal
regulator alternator, the lights were brighter and consistant in intensity.
  Driving to Phoenix one time, the external regulator stuck ON.  I started
smelling a sulfer smell, but ignored it until the next gas stop.  When I
went to leave the gas station, the car wouldn't start.  I checked the
connections on the battery, and you could have fried an egg on that battery!
It was too hot to touch!  I ended up buying a internal regulator alternator,
and a battery to fix it.  (they had no external regulators in stock)  For a
complete restoration don't change it, but for my wife's daily driver, it
can't be beat!

Rob
'67 Malibu
'67 El Camino

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 7:01 AM
Subject: [Chevelle-List] Home alternator repair


>
> Replies to this message are sent to The Chevelle Mailing List
> ------------------------------------------------------------
>
> The "regulator" in the internally-regulated units is a diode paired up
with
> the diodes that comprise the rectifier.  These are all easily checked on
the
> bench and replaced.  They can popped right out of the casing.  You can
> replace your brushes at the same time.  If you're really ambitious, you
can
> replace bearings at home.  That only leave the windings.   Open or shorted
> windings do occur, but are not the typical failure mode with these units.
>
> I have successfully repaired these units at home - both types.   A
complete
> rebuilt kit is available from your local parts store for about $15 (or
about
> the cost of an external regulator).
>
>
> Darrell Spencer
> Cave Creek, Arizona
> '70 Malibu
> '66 El Camino
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: John Nasta [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: 30 August, 2001 6:38 AM
> To: Chevelle List
> Subject: RE: [Chevelle-List] Alternator ordering
>
>
>
> Replies to this message are sent to The Chevelle Mailing List
> ------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I think you mean an internal regulator and I personally don't recommend
it.
> Whenever one goes you end up replacing both. You don't want to have to buy
a
> new alternator just because the regulator is bad. Regulators are cheaper
> than alternators.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> I am going to convert my 71 chevelle to an internal alternator.
>
>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------
> To Unsubscribe please visit www.chevelles.net/list.html
> To start a new topic, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> -----------------------------------------------------
> To Unsubscribe please visit www.chevelles.net/list.html
> To start a new topic, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>


-----------------------------------------------------
To Unsubscribe please visit www.chevelles.net/list.html
To start a new topic, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to