This is Steve.....OK...what do you mean when you mentioned the preload on the pinion?  I have a Sears impact gun, just like the one my dad uses on his tractor and trailer, so that sheould be OK.  I have the rear jacked up (using ramps on the back side and blocking the front) and am in the process of cleaning the gunk off the housing....Gee, the rear is only 3/4 of the size it was dirty ;-)
I haven't taken anything apart yet....I'm waiting for it to cool down some (still over 100 degrees outside) before I unhook the driveshaft from the rear yoke (going to tape up the universal in the process and probably replace anyway) and then figure out the yoke.  I only have simple tools and a seal puller....somewhere.  I wiggled the driveshaft/yoke pretty hard in all directions and there was no play.  I will try the yoke again after I unhook the driveshaft.  How do I remove the Yoke with this "preload"?  Is it pressed on too?
 
Thanks for all the responses,
Steve
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 6:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] rear end problem

Don't forget about the preload on the pinion when you take the yoke nut off.  You can't pry on the yoke itself or you will damage it and throw it off balance resulting in a vibration.  A big impact gun is also required for this job.

Tom
_______________________________________________
Chevelle-list mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://chevelles.net/mailman/listinfo/chevelle-list_chevelles.net

Reply via email to