Oh yeah, I am not saying I don't love an original or nice restoration, just 
that you get lost in a see of them. I mean it seems like in my area there is an 
over abundance of 65-67 nova's, mostly in red, I love the cars but when you see 
10 in a row, 8 of them red, no one stands out anymore. I don't know, maybe I 
just want to be different now, stand out, I was always shy as a kid, maybe I 
want my car(my persona) to stand out now. Thanks for listening to my ramblings 
everyone.
Jason F.
69 Chevelle
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Josh Campbell 
  To: The Chevelle Mailing List 
  Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 7:05 AM
  Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Chevelles in nascar in 68-72?


  I know what you mean on nice cars blending in, there is a guy here that has a 
wicked 40ish Chevy coupe that was a dirttracker that he honest to god pulled 
out of a creekbank, all he did was make it safe put a motor in it and drives it 
like he stole it!!!! When he goes anywhere there is a bigger crowd flocked 
around it than the trailer queens. Not that I am against those either, thats 
what my black 66SS is going to be, but my Monte....... well its a street rat, 
one of those cars that looks so unassuming until you get to see the taillights 
gradually disappear. Its one of those 20 20 cars :)
  Josh 


  Jason Fiegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    Wow, thanks again for all the info, everything you guys have sent me is 
just the type of information I am looking for. I was thinking about doing 
something different, make my car look like a NASCAR. We have a guy that goes to 
a local cruise spot, has a large white car, (the make slips me right now) that 
looks like Lee Petty's car. It's bare bones, smooth metal dash, roll cage, just 
like a race car, just enough to keep it street legal. I mean I am a chevelle 
fan but even when I go to a show all the nice restoration start to blend 
together, I want something that stands out in the crowd. 
    Thanks again everyone,
    Jason F.
    69 Chevelle
      ----- Original Message ----- 
      From: SLWeaver 
      To: The Chevelle Mailing List 
      Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 4:27 PM
      Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Chevelles in nascar in 68-72?


      I don't think they had to use that years car ...Earnhardt Sr. Used a 1964 
chevelle to win his first "asphalt"
       race in 1974? here's a model of it...
      
http://auctions.nascar.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=87825854&prmenbr=63306014&aunbr=88172564&topPic=&MoreSubs=

      Yunick scaled a 66 down to 7/8 ... 
      http://www.legendsofnascar.com/smokey.htm#cars
      Curtis Turner's Chevelle (a 66) at Atlanta (in 1967)
      in the days when NASCAR first began using templates for inspection, a 
former employee of Yunick's once told McKim that Smokey asked NASCAR if he 
could borrow the templates so he could make sure his car was right. But he also 
modified them, and came to Atlanta with a Chevelle that was slightly smaller -- 
legend has it as seven-eighths scale -- than it should have been. Since he was 
the only owner running a Chevelle, no one would have known had Bobby Johns not 
shown up unexpectedly with the same car model.
      "They put that template on Bobby's Chevelle, and it doesn't come close," 
McKim said. "They threatened to throw him out. He went crazy, and eventually 
NASCAR realized, 'Wait a minute ...'"

      During Curtis' driving career he won more than 350 races, but it all came 
to an end in 1967 at Atlanta International Raceway when he had a horrific crash 
driving Smokey Yunick's little black and gold Chevelle # 13. 
      Curtis was badly shaken but not seriously hurt one of the most 
spectacular crashes ever, but Smokey fired Pops on the spot.  About the firing 
Smokey said, "I'm not going to build the race car the kills Curtis Turner." 


      Raymond Friday Hassler drove a 68/69...see some pics here...in 70
      http://www.legendsofnascar.com/Friday_Hassler.htm

      Laguna's were big in Nascar in mid 70's ... 

      http://coloradoracingmemories.com/crm_mcgriff_hershel/crmmcgriff.htm

      SLWeaver 



      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Jason Fiegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      To: The Chevelle Mailing List <[email protected]>
      Sent: Friday, November 2, 2007 3:45:45 PM
      Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Chevelles in nascar in 68-72?


      Yeah I have seen footage of older cars, like you said a 66 chevelle in 
68, a 69 chevelle in a 72 race I think. thanks for the info.
        ----- Original Message ----- 
        From: Terry S Hodges 
        To: The Chevelle Mailing List 
        Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 5:31 PM
        Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Chevelles in nascar in 68-72?


        From what I could find by GOOGLING...It seems that the 1966 Chevelle 
body was still being used, at least at the 1968 Daytona 500

        http://www.racing-reference.info/race?id=1968-04&series=W



      __________________________________________________
      Do You Yahoo!?
      Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
      http://mail.yahoo.com 




  Josh Campbell
  66 SS 396 (Black on the rotisseree, 1st car never part with it)
  66 SS 396 (Red got it on a trade I only wanted the steering wheel)
  71 Malibu (Something new to blow my money on)
  __________________________________________________
  Do You Yahoo!?
  Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
  http://mail.yahoo.com 

Reply via email to