Thanks Deanna! Ellen

--- In [email protected], Deanna Corey <myowndogp...@...> wrote:
>
> 
>  Hi Ellen...both Myrtle and Mable my new puppies started a raw diet as soon 
> as 
> they hit my doorway...no transition time...at 8 weeks old. I START with 
> chicken 
> as it is the easiest to digest...I grind for puppies so I am sure they get 
> the 
> meat/bone/organ ratios without the risk. After a bit I start adding in LOTS 
> of 
> other meats...lamb, beef, turkey, cornish game hens, rabbits and even some 
> pork...fish...eggs. I do not add supplements or bone meal...as they get what 
> they need from what I feed. The grinder i use is the Maverick...$99 from 
> www.piercequipment.com
> 
> Mable, my Boston is now buzzing through pieces...and doesn't need the grind 
> as 
> much any more...but she still loves it so I let her have it for her 
> breakfast. I 
> probably will always grind for the Chihuahuas...Myrtle is so small...and I 
> just 
> don't want the worry. Nugget, Shuai Li and Caleb are awesome crunchers...they 
> do 
> not bolt their pieces...so I don't worry as much for them...I know they are 
> crunching up all their bones into safer pieces. Hope that helps some!!!
> Waggin' Tails in The Dog Park,
> Deanna 
> 
>                                                             and
>  The Dog Park Pack: 
> Nugget, Shuai-Li, Mouse, Myrtle, Mable,and Caleb  and honorary non-dog 
> members 
> of The Dog Park: 
> 
> Stella-Macaw, Stanley-Amazon, Miles the cat
> www.joys4toys.com
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ________________________________
> From: Ellen <ihu...@...>
> To: [email protected]
> Sent: Wed, November 17, 2010 4:31:09 PM
> Subject: [Chihuahuas] Re: deanna OK, lets talk Raw Feeding again..
> 
>   
> Okay Deanna do yo unot use beef? you stated you just use a whole Chicken and 
> grind it all which I guess means the entire thing all bones etc... including 
> the 
> neck, heart & liver. Do you add beef as well or meal? I am trying to figure 
> out 
> hte best and easiest way to Switch Sissy to. She does better with moist food 
> and 
> if I give her kibble I have to wet it or she has bleeds with her poop. For a 
> while I was mixing wet kibble with canned lamb & rice. She is 6 mos now so I 
> am 
> not sure when do you put them on raw after a year? Also can you tell me the 
> grinder you use again as well. Thank you, Ellen 
> 
> 
> --- In [email protected], Darcy Jacobs <flyway7500@> wrote:
> >
> > simply brilliant Deanna.
> > darcy.. 
> > 
> > --- On Wed, 11/17/10, Deanna Corey <myowndogpark@> wrote:
> > 
> > 
> > From: Deanna Corey <myowndogpark@>
> > Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] OK, lets talk Raw Feeding again..
> > To: [email protected]
> > Date: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 6:06 PM
> > 
> > 
> >   
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > Hi ya Peggy!!
> > I will try to answer your ?? the best I can! I am just gonna insert my 
> > answers 
> >in your post below...my answers will be in blue.
> >  
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > From: Peggy & The Girls <phrpg5@>
> > To: [email protected]
> > Sent: Wed, November 17, 2010 1:47:46 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] OK, lets talk Raw Feeding again..
> > 
> >   
> > 
> > 
> > For any one who can answer my questions to:
> >  
> > From what I understand is that a dog has to be on all raw or on 
> > all kibble 
> >diet, I have gotten the impression that you can't mix both. Or maybe I am 
> >wrong?  Dogs digest the two differently so it is best to choose one or 
> >the 
> >other to avoid stomach upset..I also understand that if you go raw, they 
> >have to 
> >have the bones as well, and in order to avoid splinters from the bones, it 
> >Has 
> >to be grinded. Yet someone posted a picture of their dogs eating a whole
> > raw turkey, so I am confused on the grinding issue!!  No...grinding is 
> > NOT a 
> >necessity...they do need 10% raw, edible bone in their diet. I choose to 
> >grind 
> >only for my littles...those under 10lbs just because I worry they wouldn't 
> >be 
> >able to crunch them up enough and splinters do worry ME! Many people feed 
> >whole 
> >pieces without grinding! Grinding is just my choice so I don't worry so 
> >much. 
> >They need the enzymes from the bones which they get ground or whole and the 
> >purpose for whole is to help with teeth...i use other options as well as 
> >bones for clean teeth....another subject!I would think for a dog that 
> >doesn't 
> >have a lot of teeth like my Gigi (I adopted her that way) that raw 
> >wouldn't be 
> >a good idea because she can't chew as good as she should. Which also makes 
> >me 
> >wonder what will raw fed owners do when their Chi's get into their senior 
> >years 
> >and loose teeth?Many times dogs that are on raw all their lives don't have 
> >the 
> >same teeth issues as those on
> > kibble.Feeding raw PREVENTS dental disease because of the enzymes. Chewing 
> > on 
> >raw bones also helps with gum disease...notice I said chewing. My dogs get 
> >to 
> >chew on knuckle bones to help with teeth...but I don't let them swallow 
> >bones 
> >like chicken leg bones or thigh bones because of splintering. They do get to 
> >chew and swallow necks, breasts, wings and parts of the backs...the bones on 
> >those pieces don't seem to have the same splintering issues...they are 
> >pliable 
> >and softer. Older dogs that have already lost teeth do GREAT on ground!!!
> > Another reason I grind some is because none of my guys are too keen on the 
> >organs by themselves...if I grind a whole chicken everything gets ground up 
> >into 
> >one pile...they never know the 10% organs are in there...and the balance of 
> >the 
> >80%10%10% in a whole chicken is almost perfect...balance without worry!
> >  
> >  
> > I am also confused about people saying that the by products of chicken and 
> > beef 
> >is bad for dogs, yet, if you feed raw, they Are eating the by-products of 
> >the 
> >animal, so what's the difference? When a dog food company says "By-Products" 
> >you 
> >have to realize there are no controls on that protein source. MOST dog food 
> >companies buy their protein or get their protein from rendering plants. A 
> >Rendering plant process, diseased, dead and decaying animal carcasses which 
> >can 
> >and does include road kill...YUCK!  I don't feed by-product! I feed 
> >organs...10% fresh organs...livers and kidneys and some green tripe. NO road 
> >kill! No deseased animals...no decaying meat! 100% human grade and organic 
> >and 
> >range free/grass fed when I can find it! Raw feeders don't feed By-products.
> >  
> > What I also find interesting is that I had two Maltese PM puppies (RIP) 
> > that 
> >were supposedly never to have made it past the first couple of days that I 
> >owned 
> >them because they were so sick with being overdosed with Parvo shots, were 
> >on a 
> >diet of  Iams kibble and milk bones for their whole life and never saw a 
> >Vet 
> >except for their shots, and only had their teeth cleaned once, and never 
> >lost 
> >any teeth, and yet they both lived to 14 yrs and 16.6 years old, with no 
> >health 
> >issues. The only people food that they ever had was egg and cheese. I had 
> >always 
> >kept them on a strict diet of their own food and never gave them the 
> >leftovers. 
> >It just makes me wonder if all of the controversy over raw and natural 
> >kibble 
> >diets is really worth it. In fact I look back at all the dogs that I had 
> >prior 
> >to the Malteses, and they all lived to 14 to over 16 years old and never 
> >saw a 
> >Vet. None were ever on HW and Flea Spot stuff either. Some never even had 
> >Boosters or
> > a Rabies shots either. I some times think that more health issues are 
> > related 
> >to the shots and flea and HW stuff then their diet. And Iams kibble 
> >was the 
> >only food I ever fed any of them. They were all different breeds to. It all 
> >just 
> >makes me wonder..Well...I think you answered your own question to some 
> >extent 
> >here. I believe that most of the health issues in dogs comes from too many 
> >shots 
> >and "preventative" garbage that poisons them...heart worm, flea meds etc. A 
> >dog 
> >with a healthy immune system does not need these things...most of the time! 
> >I 
> >don't know what years you were feeding Iams but it use to be a decent 
> >food...in 
> >the beginning they used good ingredients! Then they sold out to one of the 
> >bigger pet food companies and they have not been a good choice ever since. I 
> >do 
> >believe that healthy genes play a big part in over-all health...but I also 
> >know 
> >of thousands of dogs that suffer because they are not fed properly...since I 
> >don't spend the $
> > to do genetic health testing on my dogs, I opt to do the best I can to give 
> >them what I think is the best options for optimal health. I don't 
> >over-vaccinate 
> >or over poison either. I just want the best shot at health because I can't 
> >be 
> >sure my guys don't have compromised health issues due to poor genes. etc. 
> >Raw 
> >made sense to me simply because when you study what a dog is...a 
> >carnivore...it 
> >just naturally leads to a meat diet...and since we know Wolves and other 
> >Canines 
> >don't own Kenmore stoves or go to chef school it makes sense they eat it 
> >raw! 
> >When you study further and you learn about their digestives systems it makes 
> >even more sense. Fruits, grains and Veggies need to be broken down by a 
> >LONG 
> >digestive process for their to be value in them for our dogs. A dog's 
> >digestive 
> >track is super short...does not afford digestion of such foods as they were 
> >never designed to eat them. Now...we do know that animals adapt and can live 
> >off 
> >of nutrients they were
> > not designed to eat...obviously. But I guess my big question is: If you 
> > know 
> >what they were designed and created to eat...then why not feed them (as 
> >close as 
> >is possible for us) exactly that way??
> >  
> > Before I did the switch to raw I really thought my dogs were super 
> > healthy! We 
> >never needed vet care etc...they were never "sick"...except for a few little 
> >issues...a ear issue every now and then...maybe a UTI. But what I witnessed 
> >after about 6 months after the switch told me that while they were fine, 
> >they 
> >were not exactly at their healthiest!! Coats, skin, ears, teeth, odors, 
> >...you 
> >name it...changed for the better. Attitudes changed...energy levels 
> >changed...stools/waste changed...so I was sold! 100% sold!!! They were 
> >changes I 
> >wasn't looking for...but what a gift to get them. 
> >
> >  
> > This just works for so many people!!! So many dogs with cancer, and other 
> >horrible diseases are being given a second chance because of diet change...I 
> >persoanlly am all about prevention. And just because I feed raw do I think I 
> >will escape all horrible diseases coming my way???Certainly not...but I want 
> >better odds...I want better immune systems so if something does come we have 
> >a 
> >better shot at survival.
> >  
> > This is just the decision that I have come to...it is my own decision...one 
> >that did not come easy for me. It is just simply the best choice for us!!! 
> >Does 
> >that mean it's the best for you? for everyone?? Maybe! But thats for you to 
> >decide...and ONLY you!!!! If you do not see the value in raw...don't let 
> >yourself be bullied into doing it. BUt whatever you choose...do enough 
> >research...even if it is your own experiences...to know why you do what you 
> >do 
> >so that you are not swayed and feel confident in that choice!
> >  
> > Hugs from the dog park!
> > Deanna
> >  
> >  
> >  
> > I'm not a raw feeder, but I wanted to tell you that if Ricky is a picky 
> > eater, 
> >like my Princess is, then, have you ever tried the Wellness Chicken kibble? 
> >Princess has never been big on eating, but now that she has been on the 
> >Wellness 
> >Chicken, she looks forward to meal time and even ask for seconds, They breed 
> >and 
> >raise their own chickens and everything is processed in their own plant, so 
> >you 
> >don't have to worry about cross contamination. It's mostly pure chicken plus 
> >veggies and the omegas are added in, no fillers, preservatives,artificial 
> >colors 
> >etc.. The chicken type is a larger chunk, so for Gigi, I put her portion in 
> >the 
> >blender and chop it smaller, and I have noticed by doing this that she is 
> >not 
> >downing the chunks, but now takes her time in eating it.
> >  
> > I did not like the turkey and fish blend, which is marked for small breeds 
> >because her poop and breath stank. She actually likes the Chicken better.The 
> >chicken blend is called Super 5 Complete Health blend and is all natural. I 
> >tried other brands and this was an instant hit. Their canned chicken is 95% 
> >pure 
> >chicken. If you email them, they may send you samples.
> >  
> >http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product-details.aspx?pet=dog&pid=52&dm=completehealth
> >h
> > 
> >  
> > 
> > 
> > ♥ Peggy & The Girls ♥
> > 
> > Waggin' Tails in The Dog Park,
> > Deanna 
> > 
> >                                                            
> >  and
> >  The Dog Park Pack: 
> > Nugget, Shuai-Li, Mouse, Myrtle, Mable, and Caleb  and honorary non-dog 
> >members of The Dog Park: 
> >
> > Stella-Macaw, Stanley-Amazon, Miles the cat
> > www.joys4toys.com
> > 
> > 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Kavi <kaviescontinued@>
> > To: Chihuahuas <[email protected]>
> > Sent: Wed, Nov 17, 2010 2:54 pm
> > Subject: [Chihuahuas] OK, lets talk Raw Feeding again...
> > 
> > 
> >   
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > Hi everyone
> > 
> > I know we have about exhausted the raw feeding talk. I want to start 
> > feeding 
> >Ricky Raw. He likes our food so much that I am waisting money on dog food. 
> >So I 
> >would just like a very simple recipe for Ricky. I do not want to grind up 
> >food. 
> >I just want to mix like raw beef, turkey, or chicken, the livers etc with 
> >veggies and whatever else. what about vitamins? He will get all the vitamins 
> >he 
> >needs in raw? 
> >
> > 
> > A meat, livers, veggies? and what about the raw bones? can I just put them 
> > in a 
> >baggie and use a hammer and crush them? 
> >
> > 
> > I can read about raw feeding online, but who better to ask than the ones 
> > who do 
> >it here! 
> >
> > 
> > Thanks
> > shanna
> >
>




------------------------------------

" Lets talk about our wonderful little pets! 
Join today! " Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chihuahuas/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chihuahuas/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to