Thanks everyone for your feedback and examples.

>From this thread and talking to people in person, I came to the
conclusions that:

a) profile-level and machine-level extension installations are both
important use cases
b) there are relatively easy ways to work around the technical problem
I was having implementing profile-level extension installations

I have a implementation working and I'll be sending it out for comment soon.

Thanks!

- a