On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Absolutely... extensions should be able to store data in the profile.  I
> think that issue is orthogonal to where the extensions get installed.

Is it orthogonal to where Chrome itself is installed?  i.e. if we have two
distinct per-user Chrome installs, would a "per-machine" extension be
visible to both, or just one (so it's really "per-Chrome-install")?

My concern in broad terms is for multi-user systems; if my wife installs an
extension I don't really want to get prompted to install it myself (or have
it turn on automatically).  I'm OK with Chrome using the same instance under
the hood if we both decide to use the same extension; that's invisible to me
as a user.

Of course, one could also argue that this kind of prompting is useful,
especially in the typical case.  I feel a bit torn.  My mental conception of
both OS- and browser-level profiles is something of "never the twain shall
meet", but I recognize that that's not true for everyone.

PK