A few people I've talked to independently have expressed interest in
getting rid of build/build_config.h.

It is easy to forget to include, requires being included in a
nonstandard place, and ends up being used everywhere anyway.  It is
easier to just define the few #defines we need in build scripts.  (I
think the compiler- and architecture- specific defines could move to a
different file eventually, but we almost never use those.)

http://codereview.chromium.org/21401 does this.  It seems to work on
Windows (I'd like an expert to doublecheck I did it the right way) but
my wild guess at making Mac work is apparently wrong.  If any Mac
expert could help out, I'd appreciate it.