On 22-Jun-09, at 12:57 PM, Mike Belshe wrote:

> Yes, that accurately represents the private memory for a process,
> but it doesn't reflect the user's experience.  Windows generally
> tracks working set.  Why?  Because the working set is the amount of
> memory *not available to other apps*.  If other apps can have the
> memory, then using the bytes is inconsequential.

Figuring out how to track this is a bit of a terminology mess ;)
Referring to the following document:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965225(VS.85).aspx

If someone measures the "Private Bytes" counter, which uses the
PROCESS_MEMORY_COUNTERS_EX.PrivateUsage structure, that seems to map
to the Task Manager "Commit Size" which isn't the thing I believe we
want to measure.

The "Working Set - Private" counter doesn't seem to have a structure
according to the MSDN document; that's what maps to the "Memory
(Private Working Set)" column in the TaskManager.

The closest thing I can find is the "Working Set" counter, which uses
the PROCESS_MEMORY_COUNTERS_EX.WorkingSetSize structure and shows up
in the Vista Task Manager as "Working Set (Memory)"

Would you agree that summating the data from the
PROCESS_MEMORY_COUNTERS_EX.WorkingSetSize structure would give a fair
indication of memory usage?

cheers,
mike