On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Jacob Mandelson <ja...@mandelson.org> wrote:
> It was more surprised that I was expected to have built chrome at home
> under multiple platforms.

I wouldn't say that we expect people to build chrome at home under
multiple platforms.  We expect patches not to break any platform--how
you do that if you're touching shared code is up to you.  Committers
have access to "try bots" specifically so that they can test
compilation on platforms they don't have handy, or try patches on
behalf of people who don't have commit access yet.  There are also
plenty of people who can help review patches with an eye towards
catching potential platform problems before they land in the tree.

> I think most coders out there don't have
> set ups that let them build on all of the three.  Requiring that substantially
> restricts your contributor pool.

We don't put any requirements on what setups contributors use.  We
only put requirements on the effects on the tree.  You could submit
patches without building them at all, as long as they didn't break
anything :-).

>  It's not an unreasonable policy, but it
> is an atypical one, so I think it should be spelled out in the
> "contributing" pages.

Yes, we can certainly spell things out better,

> It's not that in other cross-platform projects Mac or Linux developers
> don't have to "worry" about Windows, it's that they aren't expected to
> have Visual Studio and people that do have it will cooperate with them on
> problems.  Plus there's all the Windows developers that don't happen to have
> Macintoshes with XCode around...

We have many people on all platforms who are happy to cooperate with
anyone on problems.

--Amanda