 From: Gregory B. Smith <gbsl...@comcast.net>
To: churchillchat@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2014 12:17 PM
Subject: [ChurchillChat] Quote from Steven Pinker's "The Better Angels of Our
Nature"

“On the other side of the Atlantic, the young Winston Churchill wrote of taking
part in “a lot of jolly little wars against barbarous peoples” in the British
Empire. In one of those jolly little wars, he wrote “we proceeded
systematically, village by village, and we destroyed the houses, filled up the
wells, blew down the towers, cut down the shady trees, burned the crops and
broke the reservoirs in punitive devastation.” Churchill defended these
atrocities on the grounds that “Aryan stock is bound to triumph,” and he said
he was “strongly in favor of using poisoned gas against uncivilized tribes.” He
blamed the people of India for a famine caused by British mismanagement because
they kept “breeding like rabbits,” adding “I hate Indians. They are a beastly
people with a beastly religion.” “
The above paragraph is taken verbatim from page 658 of Stephen Pinker’s
recently published (2011) masterful work on the decline of violence The Better
Angels of our Nature which I have just finished reading. He cites Toyes’ book
Churchill’s Empire and an August 12, 2010 New York Times article by J. Hari as
his sources.
Pinker purports to examine the mindset of historical figures showing their
moral limitations by modern standards.
Too bad he didn’t bother to consult www.winstonchurchill.org or back issues of
Finest Hour where these out-of-context quotes have been shown most decidedly
not to be reflections on Churchill’s morality. The battle continues....

Gregory B. Smith