Hi Joyce,

On Apr 13, 2010, at 10:21 PM, joyce mcintosh wrote:
> On 04/13/10 11:37 AM, Kasper Bræmer-Jensen wrote:
>>
>> Hi Joyce,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> On Apr 13, 2010, at 7:39 PM, joyce mcintosh wrote:
>>
>>> These are change notification messages to Explorer to tell it that
>>> something has changed and it needs to refresh. They should occur
>>> when, for example, a new file is created. Explorer requests such
>>> notifications. When you shut down Explorer it stops requesting
>>> these notifications and hence you stop seeing the traffic.
>>>
>>> Joyce
>>>

>> I see. Thanks for clearing this up.
>>
>> But this does not explain why I get 10.000 of these requests every second,
>> at the same second that I enter the share. Nothing on the server is being
>> written/updated that much, and this is happening around the clock, in any
>> directory on the server. The server is not that busy, and this starting
>> happening from day to day.
>
> Yes, it is indeed rather strange.
>

>> I tried creating a "temp" folder, moving all folders and files to that
>> folder in the same share. It continued to happen even after I moved all the
>> data there, even though no applications or clients should be able to
>> read/write to anything.
>>
>> Is there any way to enable some kind of verbose debugging to see what is
>> actually happening here?
>
> Are you familiar with dtrace?
> I think the only way would be to create a dtrace script to
> trace all of the places that could generate a notification.
> Places that call smb_process_node_notify_change_queue()
> or smb_node_notify_change().
> That would at least tell us what change smbsrv is detecting
> and notifying to Explorer.

Unfortunately, I do not know dtrace at all. I've spent the past few hours
trying to create something useful out of the existing scripts in /opt/DTT and
some examples I found online, but I've been unable to do anything useful (I'm
not even 100% sure on what and how I should use those functions..). I got some
help in #dtrace on IRC (Freenode), that was useful but did I never got
something to work.

I grepped for existing dtrace script using the above functions, but was unable
to find anything at all, even containing smb_*.

Could you provide me with some pointers on how to do this? I've been thinking
of different ways of solving this, but I seriously have no idea on where to
start, or where to go.

Kind regards,
Kasper