Thanks Alan for the reply.
Could you explain how lookuppnvp is being used exactly?

The behavior I am describing is intermittent somewhat. We are trying to narrow
down what's happening.
Direct access to a file for the first time from a client seems to be case
sensitive. Example:
dir \\filer\arch\myfolder\myfile.TXT fails.
dir \\filer\arch\myfolder\myfile.txt works.

As soon as you issue "dir \\filer\arch\myfolder\", the case sensitivity goes
away and "dir \\filer\arch\myfolder\myfile.TXT" starts working.