Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
Adding "ad" to the "passwd" and "group" lines in /etc/nsswitch.conf should cause the system to show Windows names like this in your ls output. See ad(5).
We don't have an AD controller in this test environment yet, I was only testing
with local osol users.

Ah. "ad" will still help, I believe. It's primarily known for looking up AD users, but it also looks up the builtin special accounts.

Note that "ad" only affects display and the ability to use Windows-style names in programs like chown. It doesn't affect whether or not shares work, or who can access them.

Should it not be possible for such a configuration to work with users sharing
files?

Yes, it should.  We call it "workgroup" mode.

Perhaps adding that group and adding the users to that group will help,
though...

I'm not sure which group you're referring to here. I was talking about adding "ad" to /etc/nsswitch.conf.