On 12/6/10 5:59 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
I was trying to study this page... and was on the verge of dry heaving
from straining my pea brain within a few minutes:

   http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-2429/createidmappingstrategy?l=en&a=view

It seems way over complicated for a home lan user.  And I suppose that
isn't where it is targetted either.

Have you tried using something based on the example on that page:

        idmap add winuser:te...@example.com unixuser:terrym

I get rejected sometimes on cifs shares... not at other times.

See the comment on guest access below.

My working windows uid is different than solaris uid but I do have a
windows user on every windows machine with the same name as my solaris
user.  It used to be necessary to do that just to make windows
networking work with other windows machines.

That was never necessary (on Windows or Solaris).  If the names don't
match, you may have to provide an appropriate name (and password)
that is valid on the server from which you are mapping the share.
If an first authentication fails, you may be granted guest access,
which will possibly result in being denied access to files based
on the ACLs.

To disable guest access: Create a local Solaris account named guest
and use passwd to protected it.

I wonder if it would help if the user attempting to use a share is
the same name as a user with permissions for those files on the
solaris machine.

Making the names and passwords the same on both client and server
tends to simplify things but it is not a requirement.

Alan