On 12/7/10 5:30 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
Alan Wright<alan.wri...@oracle.com>
writes:

[...]

It seems way over complicated for a home lan user.  And I suppose that
isn't where it is targetted either.

Have you tried using something based on the example on that page:

        idmap add winuser:te...@example.com unixuser:terrym

I wasn't much able to follow it as I said.
Where does that bit go... does it get written somewhere, is it a
cmd from the terminal prompt?

You type it at the terminal prompt.

Replace te...@example.com with your Windows username.
If the Windows username is a local account, you don't
need any @domain part.

Replace terrym with your UNIX username.

Page 8 in the PDF explains the typographic conventions.

I get rejected sometimes on cifs shares... not at other times.

See the comment on guest access below.

My working windows uid is different than solaris uid but I do have a
windows user on every windows machine with the same name as my solaris
user.  It used to be necessary to do that just to make windows
networking work with other windows machines.

That was never necessary (on Windows or Solaris).  If the names don't
match, you may have to provide an appropriate name (and password)
that is valid on the server from which you are mapping the share.
If an first authentication fails, you may be granted guest access,
which will possibly result in being denied access to files based
on the ACLs.

It may not have been absolutely necessary on windows but many many
user have found (I mean before the advent of windows 7) it necessary
to have a like named user on all the windows machines involved in
networking ... that is if you wanted to have smooth sailing and not
have to diddle around too much.

Some of the experts and semi-experts that have populated the newsgroup
microsoft.public.windowsxp.* and its forrunners..
Have posted that as a solution to windows networking problems for yrs.

Semi-experts. I like that :-)  Those are the people that Jay
Leno talks to when when he's jaywalking.  Right?.  Got it.

Alan