Haha, yeah, I *knew* that was going to come up... the FIB TCAM is running at about 99% capacity, but I haven't had any issues yet; I'm hoping I can software switch until they're willing to spring for 720's, otherwise it looks like I won't be taking full routes anymore... :) Ultimately, I guess I'll just have to install some different packages and do some experimenting... Thanks!
Chris On 5/20/08, Peter Rathlev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > Hi Chris, > > On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 14:03 -0400, Chris Riling wrote: > > I know this has been asked thousands of times before, but I don't think > > anyone has ever answered it in quite the same fasion. I'm thinking > > about turning on netflow on my border routers (7606's with Sup32's / > > full routes); > > Impressive. I didn't think Sup32 could do full routes any longer. :-) > > > Think I'll see any issues from turning on the exports? > > It shouldn't have any impact on the hardware forwarding of the box, but > the export uses some CPU on the MSFC. On our Sup720s the CPU spends most > of its time around 0-1%, exporting on average ~400 flows per second. > They're not really doing much else with the CPU though, no full tables > or anything. The Sup32 may be stressed a little more, and it all depends > on how many flows you export. > > You also need to think about the TCAM, there's a limit on how many flows > you can store at once, maybe forcing you to use aggressive aging timers. > > AFAIK no Netflow configuration should have any impact on the forwarding > performance of the box, but I may be very wrong. ;-) > > > Also, specifically, we're looking to see the ability to generate > > reports for say, a /22, and the amount of transfer for each host in > > the /22 that has entered / exited our network at the border (MRTG on > > the switchports isn't going to cut it). I've heard that a lot of > > people use ntop for this sort of thing, but in the demo I wasn't able > > to find anything that did exactly this, and I wanted to consult the > > list before turning on Netflow at the border routers anyway. I've also > > heard of people using stager for the report generation; can stager do > > the same sort of thing? > > We're using nfdump/NFSen and it can do all kinds of sweet things > regarding aggregation. We're not using it for billing though, just for > base lining and such. > > This reminds me: All the flows we receive max out at ~2.1GB. I'd like to > assume that this is because the switches automatically ages flows before > they reach the 32-bit limit (or 31-bit?); can anyone confirm this? > > Regards, > Peter > > > _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
