That sounds pretty cool... I wouldn't be looking to pull info on all 1024 hosts in one report.. I'd be pulling info on groups of IPs; grouped by customer or machine, and I'd want to look at the amount of data transferred over the last 30 days or something... The reason I can't just look at switchports is because some of these customers use their network connections inside of our data center for more things than just internet access (i.e. I want to check at the border so I only see traffic that left our network toward the internet, or from the internet toward these hosts... I don't care about any usage incurred due to backup jobs, or other data transfer within the data center)
Thanks! Chris On 5/20/08, Joe Loiacono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > > Hi Chris, > > Netflow is very useful for establishing customer chargebacks based on > actual usage. Keep in mind however that in practice it is not perfect, as > you can lose netflow information from several sources though generally it is > not much (e.g., device table overflow, lost UDP netflow packets, collector > overload, etc.) Despite this possibility, you can get a very close and > useful picture of specified traffic sets. > > Have you considered open-source flow-tools/FlowViewer? The FlowTracker > capability allows you to maintain long-term RRDtool graphs for any user you > want. You can also group users and look at them as a group. I track over 120 > such individual users here at NASA GSFC. That said, if you're going to look > at all 1024 hosts (in a /22) then graphs wouldn't be practical; you would > need to invoke a textual report periodically. > > If you're going to collect netflow though, flow-tools/FlowViewer offers a > lot of analysis tools to enhance your picture of your network. Check out > screenshots, etc. for FlowViewer:at: > > http://ensight.eos.nasa.gov/FlowViewer/ > > Joe > > > > > > > *"Chris Riling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>* > Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > 05/20/2008 02:03 PM > To > [email protected] cc > Subject > [c-nsp] Usage Billing w/ Netflow / Implementation Pitfalls > > > > > Hi All, > > I know this has been asked thousands of times before, but I don't think > anyone has ever answered it in quite the same fasion. I'm thinking about > turning on netflow on my border routers (7606's with Sup32's / full > routes); > Think I'll see any issues from turning on the exports? Also, specifically, > we're looking to see the ability to generate reports for say, a /22, and > the > amount of transfer for each host in the /22 that has entered / exited our > network at the border (MRTG on the switchports isn't going to cut it). I've > heard that a lot of people use ntop for this sort of thing, but in the demo > I wasn't able to find anything that did exactly this, and I wanted to > consult the list before turning on Netflow at the border routers anyway. > I've also heard of people using stager for the report generation; can > stager > do the same sort of thing? > > Thanks, > Chris > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ > > _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
