What kind of machine do you need to store the netflow data? Assuming pulling data from a couple routers with a 400-500mbps average bandwidth. How much CPU power to you nee to grind through the data and how much drive space do you need to handle a couple months of data?
On May 20, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Phil Bedard wrote: > Using Netflow for billing works fine, as long as the traffic is a > manageable level, hardware resources are there, and things are setup > correctly such that you aren't double-counting, etc. If the amount > of data you are dealing with is on the small side it works really > well, when you are pushing Gb/s through the router, not so well. > > Some have mentioned flow-tracker as a tool you could use to aggregate > per subnet, it works well. You can also setup reports using flow- > report? that is included in the flow-tools package. While it only > runs on Windows, Solarwind's Orion Traffic Analyzer will generate > reports based on groups of IP addresses. > > > Phil > > > On May 20, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Chris Riling wrote: > >> Hi All, >> >> I know this has been asked thousands of times before, but I >> don't think >> anyone has ever answered it in quite the same fasion. I'm thinking >> about >> turning on netflow on my border routers (7606's with Sup32's / full >> routes); >> Think I'll see any issues from turning on the exports? Also, >> specifically, >> we're looking to see the ability to generate reports for say, a /22, >> and the >> amount of transfer for each host in the /22 that has entered / >> exited our >> network at the border (MRTG on the switchports isn't going to cut >> it). I've >> heard that a lot of people use ntop for this sort of thing, but in >> the demo >> I wasn't able to find anything that did exactly this, and I wanted to >> consult the list before turning on Netflow at the border routers >> anyway. >> I've also heard of people using stager for the report generation; >> can stager >> do the same sort of thing? >> >> Thanks, >> Chris >> _______________________________________________ >> cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] >> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp >> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ > > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
