I mistakenly thought you had replied to the previous message I received in that thread, which was about the RFC which covers multiple link state protocols. Can you explain what command you are advising us not to use, does it still exist? Is it a command which is protocol generic or are you talking about "ip ospf network"?
Paul. Rodney Dunn wrote: > Not sure. I didn't write it. ;) > > From a quick glance it seems to imply that type of behavior but > I'm not aware it was ever really done. > > On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 07:42:13PM +0100, Paul Cosgrove wrote: >> I'm not sure I understand you there. Do you mean that the intention >> behind the draft RFC was for some form of point-to-point configuration >> command on the interface, which would apply to all link state routing >> protocols? >> >> Paul. >> >> Rodney Dunn wrote: >>> There was a point to point configuration on the link itself and it >>> caused a bunch of platform forwarding problems once. >>> >>> I wouldn't use that one. >>> >>> Note I'm not talking about the OSPF point to point control plane >>> configuration. >>> >>> Rodney >>> >>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 07:43:51PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: >>>>>> These are all good points, and makes me wonder - if it's *known* that an >>>>>> Ethernet link will be used as a point to point link between two routers, >>>>>> why doesn't everybody configure it explicitly as a point to point link? >>>>>> I know we always do... >>>>> The benefit/cost ratio is low. You aren't saving much be eliminating >>>>> DR/BDR >>>>> election, and it's just one more unnecessary tweak to keep track of. IMHO. >>>> Funny, we look at it exactly the opposite way. We're a service provider, >>>> and a large majority of the Ethernet links where we run an IGP are point >>>> to point links. So we have the point to point configuration as part of >>>> our standard config template, nothing extra to keep track of. >>>> >>>> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [EMAIL PROTECTED] >>>> >>>> _______________________________________________ >>>> cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] >>>> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp >>>> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ >>> _______________________________________________ >>> cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] >>> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp >>> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ >>> >> >> -- >> HEAnet Limited >> Ireland's Education & Research Network >> 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin 1, Ireland >> Tel: +353.1.6609040 >> Web: http://www.heanet.ie >> Company registered in Ireland: 275301 >> >> Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. > -- HEAnet Limited Ireland's Education & Research Network 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin 1, Ireland Tel: +353.1.6609040 Web: http://www.heanet.ie Company registered in Ireland: 275301 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
