Peter Rathlev wrote:
On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 19:52 -0500, Derick Winkworth wrote:
...
So hearing you say that some CCIE, or multiple CCIEs, didn't remember
fact "x" and therefore you call into question the value of the CCIE as a
certification... I guess that demonstrates how badly you are missing the
point.

I think you missed my point. The specific example given was something he
was tasked with and couldn't get to work. His excuse was that someone
else didn't do what they should. The problem was that MED was not the
right tool.

This unfortunately sounds like many systems/network personnel who hold some ideal view of the world and when things don't conform they lash out.


I didn't say _all_ CCIEs are wrong. And I don't expect everyone to
remember everything always. I do expect though that if I ask you about
how to control traffic flow across several independent ASs you don't
answer "MED" and stay with that answer even though others point out that
it won't work.

Yeah. I mean even someone like me with a wikipedia level of knowledge about many network bits knows that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Gateway_Protocol#Uses_of_multi-exit_discriminators

MEDs, defined in the main BGP standard, were originally intended to show the advertising AS's preference, to another neighbor AS, the advertising AS's preference as to which of several links, to the same AS,

key word SAME AS.



 I do expect a CCIE having chosen a specific setup to be
able to explain what choices he made and why, e.g. the general
differences between SRA and SRB instead of saying "You'er welcome to
read the release notes.", especially when being paid to do so.

Exactly. This is what good engineers should be able to do.


I have also met CCIEs that I'm very impressed with, and many CCIEs I've
seen explain things have been way beyond what I understand. I'm just
saying that some CCIEs are good at networking and others are good at
taking exams


Yep.

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to