On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 23:03:08 +0400, Jay Ford <[email protected]> wrote:

In your original message you said:
    I explicitly entered "ip mroute-cache" under every interface
which I took to mean that you were changing the default.

In my experience on 6500 boxes running various 12.2SX versions "ip
mroute-cache" does not show up by default.

Right. Let me explain. After I configured initial setup I ran a test that showed intensive cpu usage. My first thought was about process switching and then I entered "ip mroute-cache" for the interfaces. But the command do not appear when you do "sho run int" that made me think it is on by default.
If you do "show ip interface" for your edge-facing interfaces, does
    IP multicast multilayer switching is enabled
appear near the end of the output?

No, couldn't find it
Also, does "show mls ip multicast" show your multicast traffic being hardware switched?

#sho mls ip m
Multicast hardware switched flows:
Total hardware switched flows : 0


Are the 4900 boxes doing L3 or just L2? I suspect they'd do much better at L2 fan-out of multicast than at L3 fan-out. You're probably hitting a pps
or
packet replication limit before hitting the bps limit.
I agree that this switch will probably perform better doing L2 exchange but then there is another problem: C7604 carry QinQ vlans and C4924 terminates them giving each tunnel's payload out of a deferent dot1q-tunnel access port.
If I don't do multicast routing I will need to carry the same multicast
traffic on every configured outer vlan. This will eat up all the bandwidth.

Bummer, dude.  I don't have anything to offer about that, other than to
speculate that the QinQ tunnel stuff might be undermining the ability of 1 or
both boxes to efficiently deal with multicast traffic.  You might have to
get your Cisco support people in on this one.




--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to