The main benefit of having a different RD per VRF per PE is for IBGP multipath 
in the core. If you don't need or ever foresee using/benefiting from multipath, 
then you can use the same RD for a given VRF on all PE's.

Thanks,


Solutions Architect
SP Mobility Advanced Services
CCIE R&S

Cisco Systems, Inc.
Office: 919-392-1574  Mobile: 919-323-9972
Pager: 800-365-4578  Fax: 919-287-2664
Email: [email protected]
 


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Tony
Sent: September 08, 2009 7:06 PM
To: [email protected]; Phil Mayers
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Change VRF RD

Hi,

--- On Tue, 8/9/09, Phil Mayers <[email protected]> wrote:

> When we deployed our MPLS core, we made the minor mistake of setting 
> the RD the same on every router.
> 

I'm curious, I thought setting the RD the same on each PE router (obviously per 
VPN) was the way to do things ?

Most of the stuff I've seen shows it done this way, eg.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800a6c11.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009445c.shtml

http://wiki.nil.com/wk/images/b/b1/MPLS_VPN_cheatsheet.pdf


When do/should you set the RD to be different ? I'm guessing it's going to be 
for larger installations and to allow more customisation or something ?

Happy to do some reading and educate myself if people can point me towards the 
correct material.


Thanks very much,
Tony.

(apologies for hijacking the thread)


      
__________________________________________________________________________________
Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail.
Learn more: http://au.overview.mail.yahoo.com/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected] 
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to