On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Justin Shore <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The single-strand Cisco GigE optic is limited to 10km too. Single-strand > optics are critical in the SP world. Not everyone has excess bundles of > dark fiber to play with to turn up a simple GigE link. I understand that > Cisco wouldn't sell a lot of these since most of their business is > enterprise. I get that. > I get that too, but I strongly disagree with the strategy. In this part of the world (Whatcom/Skagit county, Washington state), dark fiber is cheap and readily available for about the cost of a T1 in many locations. (If buildout is required, it's often subsidized into the MRC.) My network at $dayjob is hardly big enough to be considered enterprise (our fanciest piece of kit is a 3560), yet for branch locations we still have the need to use unsupported 70km and single-strand optics. Surely the world has other communities like this, with cheap plentiful fiber? $4k for a ZX transceiver with the right logo on it is laughable. -Nick _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
