On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, Nick Hilliard wrote:

On 28/09/2009 18:13, Abello, Vinny wrote:
 I don't care so much at this point if it fails over or not. If I were to
 configure it, would it at least work as far as passing the traffic? I
 thought I read early on that it would cause a conflict between the two ASA
 devices or is this not the case? If that's all I have to worry about, it's
 not critical that it fails over automatically at this point for me. It's
 more of an initial staging of the technology so I can start numbering my
 devices and verify connectivity, etc... As you said, you turn IPv6 off and
 back on. Is that all that's needed at this point in time? I can deal with
 that for the time being.

It certainly passes traffic and performs stateful packet firewalling. It doesn't do inspection very well, and failover is documented as not implemented.

What I have observed is that these things are overlooked during specification because you feel that you can live with an occasional amount of pain. But once you get the boxes into production, you'll find that ipv6 breaks at times which are, well, frankly rather inconvenient, like during time-constrained maintenance windows or when a switch crashes or reboots or whatever.

both units act in ND and RA as if they had the same IPv6 address configured - "failover" and "ipv6" are unaware of each other. Hence the effect you observe - there are pseudo-stable states in this scenario.

8.2.2 should make the ipv6 and failover better friends than they are now.

thanks,
andrew


This isn't intended as a jab at Cisco or anything - ipv6 failover is well documented as not being implemented yet and, well, that's that. It's a known failure mode. It's just that we're all human and because failover often occurs under times of extreme network stress, end-users and management may get unhappy and may start shouting and colourful verbal incantations may be invoked when ipv6 stops working all of a sudden.

Unfortunately, ASA boxes are beloved of enterprises, and ipv6 is very much down the list as far as the enterprise market segment is concerned. The service provider market has significantly different needs, but Cisco's ASA product managers are not especially focussed on this segment.

Nick
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to