I'm don't think there is a big gain, but typically the OA tends to just get cabled back into the chassis switch anyways so the management VLAN is already there, and I have seen the internal switch inside the OA go bad before. I've also seen it be a political issue between the server team and the network team, so it's just easier to keep it separate. The console issue is interesting, because the MDS 9124 has the internal console, but the switches do not.
Eric -----Original Message----- From: matthew zeier [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 11:10 PM To: Eric Girard Cc: Peter Rathlev; cisco-nsp Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Catalyst Blade Switch 3012 inband management? On Nov 9, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Eric Girard wrote: > Peter, > I'm not familiar with the IBM, but when I deploy the 3x20 for the > HP chassis, I just disable to the Fa0 port to cut it off from the HP > Onboard Administrator, and then proceed to configure it as a > 'regular' switch with a management VLAN that comes in on the regular > uplinks to the rest of the network. Hope that helps. What do you gain from this? I did that with the first switch but don't anymore. fa0 sits on NMS along with the OA. Means I don't need to carry the NMS Vlan on the 3x20. (though I do wish HP/Cisco would integrate the serial console like HP's done with their own switches) _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
