So this is not a stupid question at all.  I’ve wondered about this myself.  I 
suspect the reason your terminal slows is the CPU spikes when adding a new 
neighbor and the session establishes.  (I could be wrong that’s just a guess)  
In my case I never had the slow down problem so I would cut and paste the 
neighbor with AS and then the neighbor with shut, then apply the peer group / 
description etc and then no shut when the peer is configured.  XR I believe has 
a commit command similar to the way Juniper does it.  In the JunOS case you 
build out your peer and all he details then commit to make the changes live.  I 
worked on a CRS that had a similar setup.  I’m with you I suspect there’s a 
better fix for this but I don’t know off hand.  The cut and paste method is 
what I always used.

Thanks
Scott

On Jun 20, 2014, at 10:39 AM, Lukas Tribus <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey guys,
> 
> 
> I feel like this is a stupid question with a simple solution, but I just
> not see it:
> 
> When I configure a new BGP session, before I can shutdown the neighbor
> or apply a specific peer-group/session-template/policy-template, I need
> to configure the remote-as, so the first command in the address-family is:
> 
>  neighbor 2001::123 remote-as 65005
> 
> 
> Now, if I don't specify the policies right away, or shutdown the session
> right away (or the ssh terminal slows down for whatever reason), IOS will
> establish the BGP session as-is (without any policies), until I manage
> to configure the rest.
> 
> In that case, I'm leaking everything I have to the other side for a short
> period of time, possibly triggering max-prefix limits or causing other
> nastiness.
> 
> Especially when using SSH and configuring long IPv6 addresses on IOS-XE
> here, this seams to be a problem, copy'n'pasting from notepad is not
> enough in that situation (somehow, the terminal slows down when pasting
> the config to some 2 - 3 chars per second).
> 
> 
> Any way to make IOS(-XE) behave in a more sane way so I can configure
> everything *before* the session brought up? Like defaulting to shutdown
> or something like that?
> 
> 
> Let me know how you guys avoid this problem.
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> Lukas
> 
>                                         
> _______________________________________________
> cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to