Quoting "Christopher X. Candreva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>
>> Anyway, my point is, your millage may vary.  Don't try to impose your views
>> on everyone else.
>
> Whoa here. Did you chime and and give a good way to use clamscan on
> production ?

Not exactly.  But I did say that I am using it in production.  Now, if it
is a good way or not, that is a subjective matter.

> Every time this comes up the answer is "don't do it".

No, every time this comes up the majority answers are "don't do it" or
"wait until the next version".  I don't remember the authors ever saying
it wasn't fit for any use.

> If that is the answer,

Who's answer, to what problem?

> then I would think taking steps to avoid this continually comming up would
> be a good thing.

Yep, and the authors seem to be doing this as each version since the
"great slowdown" has been faster.

> If it ISN'T the answer then lets hear the alternative. Otherwise I don't
> think I'm imposing MY view on anyway.

I did propose some alternatives.  But in any case, some might be:

1) Live with it.
2) Downgrade.
3) Upgrade.
4) Switch to clamd.
5) Buy a faster machine.
6) Move the DB on RAMDISK, flash, etc.
7) Tune your system for better performance.
8) Switch to clamav-milter.
9) Switch to some other virus scanner.

Now, I'm not saying which of the above is the _best_ solution, as that
is subjective.  Hence, as I said, "your milage may vary..."

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!