David F. Skoll wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> If done during the SMTP conversation the only thing that is going to
>> see backscatter is the thing that sent it.
>
> Which is why I qualified my reply with "if the sending relay is a valid
> SMTP client."

Maybe we are just arguing semantics but anything that connects to
my mail server and speaks RFC821 is valid.  I might not like what
it feeds me but that is what ClamAV/SpamAssassin is for. :)

>> I am under the opinion that a message should never
>> be silently blackholed.
>
> I used to share that opinion, but no longer do for viruses.  If you
> turn off Clam's dubious Phishing options, the odds of a false-positive
> from Clam are very low.  In that situation, there is no point in rejecting;
> it's better to silently discard.

Returning a 5xx message is neither hard or resource intensive.  Then even
in the unlikely event of a false positive the sender knows.

Steven