Jim Preston wrote:

The rest only makes sense IF that statement is true. It's already been pointed out that it was not inevitable, and had the team cared then there were ways of not making old versions die. More than one technique has been mentioned, and at least one of them would have been viable.

The rest of your response rather reinforces Marks point.

Simon, Mark,
Are you ever going to get over it and move on? If you are unhappy with ClamAVs decision take your bat and ball and go to some other ball park.

I am over it, and I have moved on. However, as long as people keep making untrue statements ...

"It was the only way"
and
"it was inevitable"
and
"ClamAV **was** going to break sooner or later"

are all untrue statements.

On the other hand
"It was the only way **that the ClamAv team were prepared to act**"
and
"it was inevitable **given the choices made**"
and
"ClamAV **was** going to break sooner or later **given the decision to make it do so**"

are all true statements.

--
Simon Hobson