I use a very simple logging setup (not syslog):

  LogFile /var/log/clamav/clamd.log
  LogFileMaxSize 0

You didn't say how your MTA is passing the emails to be scanned to
ClamAV.  Perhaps that interface program, such as Amavis, a Milter,
etc., is logging something useful. Or it may even not be set up to use
ClamAV at all.

Paul

P.S. Remember that ClamAV does not automatically scan emails merely
because it is running in the same machine as the MTA. You need to send
it the email contents (and header). This should be done by having clamd
listening on a TCP port or Unix socket and sending it the email via
clamdscan. (It's far too slow to run clamscan for each email, since it
loads the entire virus database each time it starts).