I realize this is only peripherally related to the OP's issue, but I believe
it's similar enough to bring it back to the list again.

I mentioned earlier that I ran tests on a .dmg (back in March 2015) by first
creating my own .dmg with an eicar test file on-board. But that was made with
engine 98.6 when the dmg capability was first added.

I just repeated that test using engine 99.2 running clamscan --debug on the
file and it still does not detect any infection nor did it identify the file as
a DMG:

> LibClamAV debug:    * Submodule        DMG:   On
> LibClamAV debug: Recognized binary data
> /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/***/Documents/EicarTest.dmg: OK

After mounting the image and scanning that:

> LibClamAV debug: Recognized ASCII text
> LibClamAV debug: cache_check: 44d88612fea8a8f36de82e1278abb02f is negative
> LibClamAV debug: hashtab: Freeing hashset, elements: 0, capacity: 0
> LibClamAV debug: Eicar-Test-Signature found
> LibClamAV debug: FP SIGNATURE:
> 44d88612fea8a8f36de82e1278abb02f:68:Eicar-Test-Signature
> LibClamAV debug: cli_magic_scandesc: returning 1  at line 2685
> /Volumes/Disk Image/eicar.com: Eicar-Test-Signature FOUND

I plan on doing additional tests against at least one other .dmg that I know
contains malware when I have more time.

-Al-