On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 8:55 AM, Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 21.02.2018 um 14:51 schrieb Bill S:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 8:12 AM, Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> why not use distribution packages whci seems to can handel the issues
>>> properly:
>>

>> Again my apologies.  I was not aware there were revised -4 flavors
>> available. When ever I went to https://www.clamav.net/downloads it
>> only showed 0.99.3.   I thought the latest version with any known
>> problems resolved would be shown on that page. I will look for a -4
>> version.
>

> this is 0.99.3 - you confuse upstream version with package release-tag
> anyways - the question why build from source remains

In a word - ignorance.  For years on my Slackware server I have always
done the install using ./configure --enable-milter.   The first time I
did it there were a few hiccups but I made some notes so I would not
have to reinvent the wheel with each upgrade and it has worked. well.
I have never had to look further until now.

I assume from your comments that the files you referenced below are
binaries.   I guess when I find them I will have some more learning to
do to get everything working again.

>>> clamav-0.99.3-4.fc26.x86_64
>>> clamav-data-empty-0.99.3-4.fc26.noarch
>>> clamav-filesystem-0.99.3-4.fc26.noarch
>>> clamav-lib-0.99.3-4.fc26.x86_64
>>> clamav-milter-0.99.3-4.fc26.x86_64
>>> clamav-milter-systemd-0.99.3-4.fc26.noarch
>>> clamav-scanner-0.99.3-4.fc26.noarch
>>> clamav-scanner-systemd-0.99.3-4.fc26.noarch
>>> clamav-server-0.99.3-4.fc26.x86_64