As far as the client mirrors.dat file, it's updated locally by freshclam to
indicate either success or failure for a specific IP. After a specific number
of failures (I've forgotten what that is) the IP is given a “time-out” which
precludes it's use until some amount of time passes. Under normal
circumstances, it's self-correcting over time, but what seems to be happening
now is involves multiple failures over an extended time resulting in all
mirrors being locked out, requiring manual intervention to delete the file
which restarts the process.

Sent from my iPad

-Al-