To be clear ("well ACTUALLY" :-P), development hasn't ceased, just
slowed to a trickle. (There are commits this year, so there?) Part of
that is nREPL being intentionally a slow-moving bit of bedrock for other
people to build on. That's not to discount my original stipulations (1)
and (2) ofc.

Forking is obviously easiest. Like I said, anyone can do that anytime.

The benefit to rebooting is to shake off whatever responsibilities or
constraints are associated with the (eventually prior) copyright
assignment. What happens to a codebase that is subject to a CA that is
forked elsewhere? Are future contributions subject to that CA? I assume
not, but IANAL. Does the "Copyright (c) Rich Hickey" banner that's
supposed to be on all files stay there permanently? Pretty sure, but
IANAL. If all of the nontrivial contributors to the project decide they
want to change the license later, do we also need to obtain Rich's
assent? I have no idea. Do I want to maintain explanations of the right
answers to these kinds of questions for a (fork of a) project that's no
longer within contrib? Most definitely not.

(Parenthetically, it strikes me as very strange for a project to have a
copyright assignment to an individual that hasn't lodged any commits, at
least insofar as the project gone "solo". It's interesting that I don't
have that intuition if the assignee is an org like Apache or whatever, a
discrepancy that I'll have to think on.)

That was a good question! Answering helped clarify things for me:
specifically, if I'm going to maintain the project outside of contrib, I
will reboot it as previously described.

Thanks,

- Chas